Thursday, September 4, 2008

"Look at me, I'm a Picasso!" (Second Grade)

There is a scene in the movie Toy Story when Mr. Potato Head rearranges his features and says, "Look at me, I'm a Picasso!" I remind my second graders of that scene when we learn about this artist. I think it's good to connect what we're learning to things from popular culture that they are familiar with and enjoy.
We start this lesson by looking at two paintings -- the Mona Lisa by Leonardo daVinci and Portrait of a Woman by Pablo Picasso. One of our state standards for art is to encourage students to use the critical thinking skills of comparing and contrasting two works of art. Students are quick to point out what's the same and what's different about two paintings. That's what Mansfield University student teacher Mr. Malloy is doing below.


Next students are introduced to the names of the styles: realistic and abstract. Our project today is to make a portrait. Students can choose to draw a person either as realistically as they can or in an abstract style.

That's as far as we can get in half an hour! Next week we're going to do something neat to color it.

No comments: